Sunday, August 19, 2012

Love and More


For My Brother with Love

With lots of testing for my brother Dudley he was finally placed on the Liver transplant list. This could take years to happen. Once a patient has been approved for the list a "living donor "can then step up and apply to donate a little more than half of their liver to the recipient.
I was not aware that this sort of transplant was available! It didn't take long to call the Liver Donor Team which i did do in late May. I heard back and before I knew it I was scheduled for lots of tests and blood work for myself. All of which needed to be in NYC. I heard back from the team of doctors in less than a week that the committee had determined I was able to donate for my brother.
The surgery was scheduled for early August but did not happen due to complications Dudley was having with his kidneys. His kidney doctors would not release him for the surgery until they did a biopsy of his kidneys. A week of waiting for results ( long week) he was cleared to go ahead with the liver transplant.
Dudley has and continued to be a model patient for the duration of his illness. He really should get patient of the year! :)
On September 4th we are scheduled for surgeries, my brother will have a great chance at living a normal life for years to come!
Surgeries will both be at Columbia University Medical Hospital. 622 W. 168th St NY, NY

Would so appreciate thoughts and prayers for the anxious feelings now that it is so close. The surgeries which are long Dudley's 8 hours, mine will be about 6 hours. Also for fast healing after the surgeries.
Last, but not least please pray for our caregivers as it is not an easy task to take on. :)
My dear friend Mary Jane will be with me for my surgery and after for two weeks. She went with me to all of my evaluation process and tests. A true testament of what a friend is. I am ever so grateful!
Dudley has had his wife Terri by his side the entire time. She has been a saving grace for him spending nights in his hospital room,then care at home waiting for the big day. He has also been blessed to have my niece Mary come out from California to relieve Terri for a bit.
My Richard along with both of my daughters have given me their blessing,not without worry but they completely understand.
I also have so many close,dear friends that have been praying and helping me to stay calm. I love them so much. ( you know who you are)

I will blog along the way of this incredible journey.

Much love,
Pam

No comments: